Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Im an online student and Im transferring to a different online

I'm an online student and I'm transferring to a different online institution. I'm trying to figure out how to match up the school's accreditation with the accreditation required for jobs in my area of study. The online institutions I'm checking into are out of the state in which I will be working (IN). I've asked the academic counselors from each school, but all I really get from them is the type of accreditation that the school holds. I further expressed my concerns with the accreditation for the specific degree program I'm looking to transfer into. I guess I'm just trying to find out where, how, and who I need to contact to find this information. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!

-Shawn
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi Shawn, and welcome back to Just Answer.

It's so admirable that you're thinking ahead and want to make sure you choose the right program, Degree, school, accreditation, enabling you to find a great position, after you graduate!

You can check accreditation of schools (online and otherwise) through this government site: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/

Under the circumstances, I think your best course of action would be to identify some major companies in your field where you might like to work, call them and ask what type of accreditation they require of the educational institutions when they consider an applicant for employment. It's best to obtain this information directly from the companies in your area, in your field, so you increase your chances of finding a good position when you graduate, and of course, also choosing a school you know is accredited and accepted by these prospective companies.

Since you received no response from IDEM when you emailed, perhaps you will get further if you call and and speak with a knowledgeable person:
  • (317)(NNN) NNN-NNNN
  • (800)(NNN) NNN-NNNN(toll free within Indiana)
The schools' academic counselors should be able to tell you exactly what their accredited status is (which I understand they have), and by whom (major companies) their accreditation is accepted. Typically, many schools have job placement programs, so they should know the information you are seeking, if they help graduating students find positions.

Another avenue you might pursue, would be local employment agencies (placing applicants in your field); they should be aware of the requirements of local companies and which type of accreditation from which schools and what degrees are accepted.

I wish you much good luck in your future educational endeavors!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.
I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist