Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Type Your Question Here...

We have found a 51/2lb piece of green glass like substance

We have found a 51/2lb piece of green glass like substance with hundreds of white inclusions in our field. there are shards of the same substance embedded in the surrounding trees.what do you think .I have pictures.
Category: General
Expert:  Jennifer SR replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I would like to see the pictures. You can use a site like to upload them and then put the link here for me to view. Also, where are you located? Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Wow. Ok, where are you located? How high up were the shards in the trees?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jennifer,

Not quite expert at using your system yet. Seem tobe sending you items in dribs & drabs. Anyhow here at are two pictures. We are in Montgomeryshire post code SY16 3JH, near Newtown, . The field concerned is isolated, more than 1/2mile from any public road, nearest industrial site 5 miles. SO 307 294 approx. The shards were between 6 and 10ft off the ground. The land is part of a headland overlooking the Severn valley.

Thanks Mary

Thanks. I will take a look and see what I can figure out. I will try to get back to you later this evening or perhaps early tomorrow morning. I have a couple of ideas, but want to check out a couple of things first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jennifer,

Thought for the day. Thinking about meteorlogical high altitude ballons - they need weighting down temporarily to keep the whole assembly straight , this maybe well done with sand bags? The sand could be released when an appropriate altitude is reached letting fall to ground without the risk of injury. Thats part1. Part 2 - In the USA there is character who lives in an area where electric storms are frequent. In the area there is large area of silica sand, next to lake, where he pushes into the sand steel rods to some depth and then awaits results. The result is large lumps of glass of random shapes which he retrieves and polishes etc. and sells. Put these two parts together???
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jennifer - WHAT ANSWER !!!!!!!!!! ???????? JUST TOOK THE MONEY AND WENT !!!!!!!!!!!
Hi and sorry for the delay. I have been out of the country and just got back this afternoon. I do not think it is the features that are formed from lightning in sand as those are not usually clear. Also, it is not naturally occurring. My thought is that it might be related to the glass-making industry in your area from decades ago. When the glass is made, it is heated and I wonder if there was something that made one piece of glass explode out and that is why you also found shards in the trees. Other than that, I have not been able to find anything.