JamesStone
JamesStone, Analyst, Programmer, Writer
Experience:  BA English Teaching, Data Analyst 7 Years
20612472
Type Your Question Here...

how do I stop a bird (robin) from attacking my kitchen window,

how do I stop a bird (robin) from attacking my kitchen window, pecks at it all hours of the day, making a big mess.?
Category: General
Expert:  JamesStone replied 6 years ago.
[Remember, if you like the answer, click Accept. Otherwise, feel free to ask for another expert! Thanks!]

From what I understand of both robins and cardinals, they can get quite territorial, and they essentially believe the reflection they see is a competing bird.

From a number of hobbyist sites you can find recommendations about trying to reduce the reflectivity of your glass, whether it be soaping the windows for a couple of weeks until mating season cools down, pulling down shades or curtains to reduce reflection, hanging something behind the window, putting vertical stripes on the outside of the window every 4 inches or so using tape or ribbon, moving houseplants away from the window, etc.

Personally, I might consider getting one of those large plastic owls and trying to put that somewhere nearby to see if that helps, as it is a natural predator. However, I would probably try some of those other recommendations first since they don't involve making purchases.

If this answer does not meet your level of satisfaction, please let me know and I can "opt out" so another expert can assist you. Thanks!