Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Something is biting through the young shoots of our apple tree

Something is biting through the young shoots of our apple tree These shoots wither and may remain hanging on the tree. Can we spray or rather what can we spray the tree with or is it too late to save ?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

It's possible that you have aphids. These insects suck the sap of the tree, especially when it's young and more easy to bite into. Shoots and leaves will then become damaged, weakening the tree. Chemical sprays can be used to kill aphids, but to avoid using chemicals, other natural methods may be safer and just as effective. Introducing creatures like ladybugs, to eat the aphids, and also spraying them with a solution of dish soap and water, is a better alternative than contaminating the fruit with chemicals. Please read more, here:
Pests of Apple Trees | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7327216_pests-apple-trees.html#ixzz1KkjzTWKz

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7722101_insects-apple-tree-care.html

You also may have some type of borers attacking your apple tree:
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource001830_Rep2590.pdf

This information will also be of help:
http://www.articlesbase.com/gardening-articles/how-to-save-your-apple-tree-from-the-bugs-the-organic-way-393469.html

It would be advisable to have an experienced nursery person/gardener and one who treats pests, to look at your tree in person and then prescribe the most appropriate treatment. Hopefully, the tree can be saved, but after an in person inspection, you'll know for sure.

I wish you much good luck and do hope your tree can be treated, restored to good health, and continue to produce fruit for many years to come!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please could you tell me a bit more about Pith Moth. I t sounds as if that may be the culprit.Thank you for your quick reply

Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

The Apple pith-Moth (Tine-ina), which originates in your area (Europe) spends the winter as a partially grown caterpillar in a small chamber dug beneath the bark of apple twigs. When their growth resumes in the spring, the caterpillar bores into a young shoot, causing it to wilt. The pinkish caterpillar is nearly an inch long when fully grown. It pupates inside the twig or shriveled shoot. Sometimes, the caterpillars will bore into fruit. Adult moths begin to fly in June and July, and lay eggs on new shoots. The newly-hatched caterpillars quickly bore into twigs. They are particularly vulnerable to insecticide at two times of year: pre-bloom and late July to early August, so this would be the best time to treat the tree. Recommended treatments include spraying with nicotine washes early in the year, and cutting back shoots in winter, however, consulting with a gardening specialist in your area who can inspect the tree in person and recommend the most appropriate treatment, is advisable.

Best regards,
Cher