Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Are marriage license public record in New York. Where would

Are marriage license public record in New York. Where would I find this information
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome back to Just Answer.

Marriage licenses/marriage records are not public record in New York. Please see this site: http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/records.shtml

If you need this for yourself, you can apply in person or online, as the site above directs, to get a copy of a marriage certificate. If you are searching for someone else's marriage record, unfortunately, you will not be able to find it online.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.
I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!
Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Therefore if you are to marry someone, but you suspect that they may already me married. There is no way for me to find out if the person is married already.
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

If you apply for a marriage license, the system will most likely alert you if the person you are to marry is already married. You can also call the City Clerk's office and ask for more information, if you suspect this person may already be married: http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/contact/contact.shtml

I wish you much good luck!

Best regards,
Cher