Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
Type Your Question Here...

What is meant in Luke Chapter 12 verses 49-54

Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 5 years ago.

Jesus is speaking of the coming judgment, and how his ministry would act as a fire, destroying but still bringing new and healthy growth people as a whole.In line 50, Jesus is referring to the cross and His own crucifixion. In these lines, there may be a hint that Jesus brings on division in a way in order to promote community later on. What these lines are trying to say is that Jesus separates in spirit but maybe not in necessity. Not everyone believes in the same thing and sometimes this type of division and different belief is what separates the followers from the non-followers and that is the truth of life and should be accepted in order to grow deeper in faith.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not what I am looking for. I need more of why they are at war.
Father vs son etc. the meaning to the seperation within the family from
a clergy point of view.
They are not really at war. As I was saying, Jesus is commenting on how we may have a different view of spirituality and our beliefs. Thus, a father may be at war with his son due to his differing beliefs, and the one that beliefs in Jesus will prevail after the war so the war may be worth it in the interim.