JamesStone, Analyst, Programmer, Writer
Experience:  BA English Teaching, Data Analyst 7 Years
Type Your Question Here...

I have a Windows 95 computer that still operates,How can I

I have a Windows 95 computer that still operates,How can I make use of it.? The machine is Hewlett Packard.Or should I just donate it to
Category: General
Expert:  JamesStone replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm happy to respond to your question for you. If you find the answer satisfactory, please click "Accept." If you would prefer to hear from another expert, please reply as such and I can "opt out" to allow others to respond. Thank you!

If you have a computer that is running windows 95, chances are high that the hardware is quite antiquated.

In order to be able to use it with any form of software that is relatively recent, you'd have to be able to update the operating system.

In order to update the operating system, you will have to meet the minimum hardware requirements. If by some reason it met the requirements, odds are you'll find the system so slow you probably wouldn't enjoy using the machine. Nowadays the technology is no relatively faster the experience will be quite noticeably different.

In order to update the hardware requirements, there is the possibility you would need a new motherboard, processor, memory, etc, which will all add up and take time, technical knowledge, and money. Odds are the tower and power supply may be inadequate as well.

I would seriously consider donating it to a charitable organization so you can at least get a write off of some sort.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I knew the answer I would get, A 16 yr old computer is too old for anything. I thought it

might have a use for somebody. I do not like the internet or Microsoft or AT&T.

I think I want ubuntu linux. I do not share. My first computer was a Vic 20. Thanks for your help