A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Hernandez Selim Bridges was born in Berlin in 1851. He is

Hernandez Selim Bridges was born in Berlin in 1851. He is my grandfather.
Selim Bridges, his father became a British citizen in Jersey sometime after this date and I believe lived in Paris for a while.
Do you have any further details on the parents/ grandparents, and/or where can I find this information.
Val Harrison
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Do you know the name of Selim's wife? Was it Harriet Organ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure. I seem to recall from my mothers tales when I was a young girl that Hernandez had one sister Louise who studied music in Leipzig. I also have a very old photograph of a little boy, possibly about 1878 taken by professional photographer in Paris

Hi, Val,

I think I've found the family. Here is the 1881 Census for Stapleford, Hertfordshire:

Selim J. Bridges 55 M [b abt 1826] Head, Income from house property, b Jersey, Channel Islands, British subject

Harriet 52 F b Bristol

Hernandez 30 M, carpenter, b Berlin, British subject

Emelie L. 22 F b Paris, British subject

Louise H. 16 F b Paris, British subject

Selim Jersey Bridges was born about 1825 in Jersey, Channel Islands and died Milward Road, Hastings on 14 May 1898. His will was probated in London on 11 Jul 1898. He left all his property to his daughter Louise Harriet Agoust (wife of Henry Laurent Agoust) and to Henry Chetham, gentleman [no idea who this was]. The estate amounted to £4089 12s. Selim Jersey Bridges m1 Harriet Organ 1845 in Avon, Gloucestershire. Their son Selim Frederick Organ Bridges was born and died in July 1848. After Harriet died he m2 Clara Louise Fanny Buckley 28 Apr 1890. She was the same age as his youngest daughter.

The 1891 Census for Hammersmith, London:

Selim J. Bridges 63 M b Jersey

Clara L. Bridges 23 F b London

Louise Bridges 23 F b Paris

The history of Jersey (one of the Channel Islands) is interesting. Jersey and Guernsey are off the coast of France, but they are possessions of the Crown but not actually a part of the UK. The people are British subjects. So it isn't that Selim "became a British citizen" after 1851. He was born a British subject.

Selim Jersey Bridges was the son of Reuben Bridges and his wife. I didn't find a name for the wife. He is probably the Reuben b 1796 in Suffolk whose wife was Sarah, but I can't confirm this.

Hernandez Selim Bridges m Alice Ann (nee Sherman) Edwards, daughter of Henry and Ethelinda Sherman in Oct 1899. Their daughter Ethelinda Bridges was baptized 19 Oct 1902.

When I started researching this, I thought it would be easy since Selim is such an unusual (at least to me) first name. I was surprised to find several Selim Bridges and Reuben Bridges in England though.