A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I am looking for the parents of Frederick Wilhelm Blees, 1860

Customer Question

I am looking for the parents of Frederick Wilhelm Blees, 1860 - 1906.
I believe he was born in Germany and died in Macon, Missouri
His wife was Mary Staples Blees and they had 5 children.
He was the headmaster of St. James Military Academy in Macon, MO ~ 1892.
I am trying to verify that he is a relative of the Blees' from Aachen, Germany
If anyone can provide his parents names I would greatly appreciate it.

Diane Herndon XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 3 years ago.
Hello, Diane,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Do you have the names of his children? Any idea when he came to this country? Did he go by Blees, or Bless or something else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He became a naturalized citizen on 12/21/1881. He was a Blees then as far as I can tell.

He married Mary Virginia Staples on 12/7/1886. They had 5 children that I found - Frederick James, Alvin Wolcott, William, Ann Marie, and Elise.

He appeared to be a very prominent citizen in Macon, Missouri. He died 9/8/1906 in Macon.

Diane

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional information. In the 1900 census, Frederick lists his birthdate as March 1860. Friedrich Wilhelm Blees was born 30 March 1860 to Friedrich Wilhelm Blees and Maria Buentgens of Vital, Aachenstadt, Rheinland, Prussia (Germany). He is the only one by that name born in 1860 or in March from 1858-1862. I think that confirms they are his parents. The Buentgens were centuries-long residents of Vital. There were a lot of Blees/Blesse, etc. families in Prussia, but Friedrich must none in Vital prior to Friedrich Wilhelm. Evidently he settled in his wife's home town.

I didn't find the name of the ship that Friedrich (b 1860) came to the US on.

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ms. Shuyler,

I do have another question regarding Frederick Wilhelm Blees. Can you tell me, please, if he had other siblings and if any of them came to the United States?

Diane Herndon

I did not find any other siblings in the records, nor did I find where he came to the US or when. Best guess would be to New Orleans since the first couple of children (Fred and Alvin) were born in Louisiana. I didn't find a marriage record for Frederick and his wife either. She was born in Alabama. They had been married for 14 years in the 1900 census. He said that he came to this country in 1880.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already had this information but thank you for your help.

Diane

You're very welcome.