A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Further to my question on April 4, Lowes said the sweet peas

Further to my question on April 4, Lowe's said the sweet peas are definitely pea-producing vegetable plants. They have begun bearing very sweet, tender pea pods. Just thought you'd like to know.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Yes, they do produce pea pods and peas, but they are NOT edible.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Just got off the phone w/Lowes again to share your comment. They disagreed and I'm confused! Please explain why the peas are inedible; also, shouldn't this information be made available to the general public before they harvest the various vegetables in their gardens?. Seems strange but I await your answer.

You had asked about the flowering plant called sweet pea, Lathyrus odoratus. The variety of peas grown for human consumption is Lathyrus sativus. Seeds of odoratus consumed in quantities are toxic, while sativus is meant for eating. Use the botanical name for your flowering plant and your person from Lowe's won't be so confused. Anyone who knows anything about gardening would never tell you to eat ornamental sweet peas.