A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

I am looking for information on the late Joseph Schwemler.

I am looking for information on the late Joseph Schwemler. He married Caroline Rebecca Roe and they had a daughter named Selena Schwemler, d.o.b. 13-MAY-1877. She was born in Chatham Twp. Kent County, Ontario, Canada. Selena married John Lancaster and they were my grandparents.

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Cheryl (Lancaster) Sanregret

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Do you know if Joseph was born in Ontario?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure. I can't find any information on him or his wife. But, I do know that their daughter Selena Schwemler was born in Kent County, Ontario.

Hi, Cheryl,

Thanks for responding. It appears Joseph was born in Germany, and the name varied a bit in spelling originally. He was single, said he was 21 years old in the 1861 Census, which would make him born somewhere around 1839-40. It also dates his marriage to Caroline Rebecca ROE to between 1861 and the birth of their children starting in 1864. Note that age was not as important then as it is today and people sometimes would not know exactly how old they were.

Here is the pertinent census for 1861 for Chatham, Kent, Ontario, Canada West

• Joseph Schwemler cabinet maker b Germany, 21 M, single, Roman Catholic
  • Casper Schwemler apprentice b Germany, 16 M, single, Roman Catholic

The following (found in the 1891 census for Raleigh, Kent, Ontario) are some of the children of Joseph and Rebecca:

• Walter b abt 1864
  • Louisa b abt 1868
  • Hattie b abt 1874
  • Lena b abt 1877 (i.e. Selena)
  • Bertha b abt 1879
  • Maud b abt 1885

Walter had married Agnes MORCOM 14 Aug 1889 in Kent, Ontario and his 5 sisters were living with them (and their daughter Caroline) in 1891. That probably means Joseph and Caroline Rebecca were dead prior to 1891.

In 1867, Walter Schwemler reported the death of his sister "Louiser", age 25, of consumption on 27 Nov 1892.

Jacob Schwemmer[sic] married Maria Korhummel 23 Nov 1837 at the Catholic church in Achdorf, Waldshut, Baden, Germany. The christening of two of their children are also recorded in these church records:

• Josef Schwemmer ch 01 Mar 1838
  • Kasper Schwemmer ch 31 Dec 1847

(Source: Kirchenbuchduplicat, 1809-1869 for Katholische Kirche Achdorf)

The spelling "Schwemler" isn't typically German and it defaults to Schwemmer. Knowing they were Roman Catholic was a great help in sorting through possible parents. There were also variations in spelling in the Canadian census.

1871 CENSUS - Raleigh, Kent, Ontario

Joseph Swimner 30 M b Germany, Catholic

Caroline Swimner 26 F b Ontario, Wesleyan Methodist

Walter Swimner 7 M b Ontario Wesleyan Methodist

Minnie Swimner 5 F b Ontario Wesleyan Methodist

Louisa 3 F b Ontario Wesleyan Methodist

Theodore 1 M b Ontario Wesleyan Methodist

There is a Jacob Schwemler christened 31 Jul 1799 at the Katholische Kirche (Catholic church) at Horchheim, Hesse, son of Phillipi Schwemler and Catharina Cron. This is most likely Joseph and Kasper's grandfather.

I had no luck finding anything on Caroline Rebecca Roe.