JamesStone, Analyst, Programmer, Writer
Experience:  BA English Teaching, Data Analyst 7 Years
Type Your Question Here...

in MS Word 1997-2003 how do i display 2 photographs side by

in MS Word 1997-2003 how do i display 2 photographs side by side, each a column wide?
The easiest way to accomplish this task is to insert a table.

When the dialog appears, specify Number of Columns as 2, Number of Rows as 1.

Click OK

You will now have a table with 2 cells in which you can place your photographs side by side.

Now, you can also make additional changes so that you don't see the table, if you don't like the borders, need to change the alignment, etc. Simply hover the table and there is a small icon on the upper left corner that allows you to highlight the entire table. Then right click and select Table Properties. From there you can change the alignment of cell contents. Click on Borders and Shading and you can select settings as "None" to make the cell borders invisible. This will create the effect I believe you are looking for.

I hope you've found this will meet your needs. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the table worked fine. i'm not able to get rid of the border or to adjust the content of the cells.
Are you able to get to the table properties?
If you right click inside one of the table cells, it should be an option just below autofit (I'm using word 2000). Then you should have the option to change cell content alignment, whether you want text to be able to wrap around it, and then if you click the "Borders and Shading" button you should be able to "turn off" the borders on the cells.

Please let me know if that helps!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i highlighted the whole table by clicking the box up in the upper left corner - i don't know if that's what you mean by "hover". The whole table highlighted. then i right clicked and got table properties. in there they had a "none" opton and i clicked that and got a blue outline on that. i ok'd but the border didn't go away. then this second time i just right clicked a cell. i got the same "borders and shading" box i got before. there's no "autofit" that i can see there. i'm sorry to be a dud on this. this is for a book i'm self-publishing and it's important. i appreicate your patience.
What version of word are you working with?
Also, is this intended to be an e-book you distribute in word, or in hardcopy/pdf? Sometimes the screen view is not the same as the print view (IE printing out a sample page or going to print preview might not show the blue border you see while in development).

In regards to cell alignment, you can typically highlight your cell contents and use the align buttons on your tool bar to assist with that.

Let me know if that helps, or if not, the version and I'll see if there is another way to get at what you need.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

you nailed it. the border isn't really there.

it's a perfect-bound book, 1000 pages.

i'll try to ask for you if i have other problems. the only one i have now is when i divide part of the text into columns. if i can't solve it, i'll start the clock with you again.