JamesStone
JamesStone, Analyst, Programmer, Writer
Experience:  BA English Teaching, Data Analyst 7 Years
20612472
Type Your Question Here...

MS Word XP/2002 question I have MS Office 2002 on a windows

MS Word XP/2002 question
I have MS Office 2002 on a windows XP computer. Sometimes MS Word slows down a lot. When this happens MS Word sometimes generates a strange message about "the global template normal.dot". Sometimes the message is "Changes have been made to affect the globl template normal.dot, do you want to save the changes?". There may have been other messages about normla.dot as well. I think the slow downs and messages are strongly connected. In other words the slow performance usually means that I will get a "normal.dot" message when I exit word, and that will be the only time I get those messages. Normal.dot does appear in the directory "My documents", and does not appear in the "my documents" of another computer I have that has Office 2002/XP on it.
Category: General
Expert:  JamesStone replied 5 years ago.
There are a few things for you to check. Typically this can be related to a few different things: A. a setting, B. a conflict, or C. potentially a virus. My guess is it is going to be related to A or B.

Resolving
A: under TOOLS > OPTIONS
On the SAVE tab, do you have "Prompt to save normal template" checked?
If so, you can uncheck that and see if that helps, if not, move on to B.

B: When word loads up, it is going to be looking in the STARTUP folder for any special items to load up with it. Sometimes this can conflict with existing items, such as the template .dot you mentioned. What you want to do is close out of all of your MS Office products, then navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup (the "Office" folder may actually have a number after it). The idea is to move the components in this startup folder to another location to see if there is a conflict. After you've moved your items to a new folder for safe keeping, you start word and see if that helps.

There is also the possibility of some add-ins that you can check on. You go to TOOLS > Customize, click the COMMANDS tab, click TOOLS, then click COM Add-Ins. Drag it on to your tool bar so you can access them easily, then close the dialog. Click the COM Add-Ins menu item you just added, and you'll get a dialog with whatever ones are available. You can uncheck them if any show up and the next time you bring up word they won't load with it.

Another potential issue is on startup macros (referred to as "auto" macros). To check if this is an issue, you hold down the shift key while activating your word icon to prevent them from loading. If this "fixes" your problem, you'll need to make the change permanent. Go to START > RUN, then type winword on the prompt and enter. This activates word. Then go to TOOLS > MACRO > MACROS and you'll have a listing of all of the macros associated with word. Then you can delete any "auto" type macro.

In the event of a virus, you're going to have to make sure you are up to date with your virus definitions and you'll likely need to make sure you're up to date on microsoft updates as well, as office products have had a history of being exploitable.

Let me know if this helps!