JamesStone
JamesStone, Analyst, Programmer, Writer
Experience:  BA English Teaching, Data Analyst 7 Years
20612472
Type Your Question Here...

what is the best way to house train a puppy I have a new

what is the best way to house train a puppy? I have a new female pup (Sasha) in my household. No matter what I do with her, she'll pee in the house. She will cry to go poop outside but will not do it for a pee. I take her for long walks, then I bring my 2 other dogs and go to the park and she still won't go. I must put her in the backyard and repeadly say go pee pee and will not let her in the house until she does. Once she does, I praise her by saying good girl, pet her on the head and I started last night by giving her a cookie. Is there other ways?
Category: General
Expert:  JamesStone replied 5 years ago.
Hello, my wife worked at a vet for a number of years, and before that, a grooming parlor. Crate training is a common method of housebreaking. Our dogs are all adults now but they treat their crates as their little safe haven. Since dogs don't like to soil where they sleep, it works well to deter the behavior. You'll just want to make sure the crate isn't too large, about enough for them to be able to stand on 4 legs and turn around in, but not so large that they could do their business on one end and not have to worry about it. There are many web resources on the topic, but it has worked extremely well for our household. This is one of the better sites I've found which lists out the details. We pretty much followed it to a T, though we weren't aware of this particular website at the time. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cratetraining.htm