Tyler, Professional Researcher & Musician
Experience:  B.M & M.M.. Skilled at in-depth research. Former police officer.
Type Your Question Here...

I met Patrick Hurley on facebook, He said he is 51 his wife

I met Patrick Hurley on facebook, He said he is 51 his wife sarah passed away 6 yrs ago he has a 13 year old son named jeff. he lives in london but was going to africa for work as he is an engineer to build a communications tower, he took his son with when the arrived his credit cards were stolen along with other valuable items and he only had 800 in cash the 2nd day there his son got a head injury from diving off the board they had to call in a specialist from the capital city. they wanted their money before they would operate, so i sent him 1500 by western union they stayed awhile longer in africa while his son was in the hospital, after 2 weeks he was sending his son back home to london to be with his grandparents. when patrick was to leave africa they siezed his passport for he was going to transport a consignment back to london. he said he was set up, he had to get an attorney and go to the british embassy to file a report or charges against the people trying to extort money out of him they wanted over 20000 so i sent him another 1000 then another 500 so he could get out of africa and go back home to london. now hes home in london and he believes in africa his mail was compromised and they got his bank information, he wanted to transfer 1.2 million pounds to my bank acct but it would have costed me over 3000 to do it I told him I didn't have that kind of money, he said he didn't know that they charged that much either. now hes in london and now someone transferred all of his money to an account in austria and hes fighting to get it back he said the insurance will pay it to him in 3 weeks so now he has no money his electricity has been turned off so I sent him another 500 by western union he tells me he is the man in the facebook photo and that he loves me and that he promises we will be together. he said he may be starting a new job in new york in may. i just want to know if he is who he says he is thats all i've ever wanted to know.
Category: General
Expert:  Tyler replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate story. I'm afraid the worst news is that you've been taken advantage of. This is a common scheme criminals use via different electronic means in order to extort money from people. Many criminals use the "relationship format" as you received, where they try to set up a romantic relationship with the victim before asking for money. If I were you I would cease all communication with him and quit sending him money immediately. If he has any of your bank or credit card information I would have that changed immediately. In addition to the money you have already given him, you are also at risk for identity theft. The reporting agency for this in the US is the FBI, although since it is international crime it is difficult to prosecute. In the future please try to be more careful and don't send money to people you don't know. I wish you the best.

Important! When you opened a question and placed a deposit on this site, the value of the question was removed from your bank account and placed into your Just Answer account. I do not get paid until you press the Accept button and that deposit is finally moved out of your Just Answer account.

Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I personally put into your individual question. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there no way possible that he is the man in the facebook photo

Expert:  Tyler replied 5 years ago.
Criminals rarely include their actual photos along with their criminal activities. I would say there's less than one tenth of one percent that the picture displayed has been the person you're speaking with. Most of these scams happen out of Africa, so you're probably talking with an African.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there anyway to find out who the man in the facebook photo is and where he is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there a way to find out who the man in the facebook photo is
Expert:  Tyler replied 5 years ago.
Finding out who the person is in the picture will be practically impossible. The criminals who place the phony facebook profiles can get pictures from anywhere like by doing a google image search or by stealing the pictures from another facebook or myspace page. All they have to do in most cases is copy and save the picture and make it their own. These people commonly find a few suitable pictures and profile details to use and then re-use them over and over in many different places. They do this because their profiles constantly get shut down because of what they use them for. I would also recommend reporting this profile to facebook. You'll find an option to do so at the bottom left corner of their profile.