Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to find out the name of my great-grandfather so

I am trying to find out the name of my great-grandfather so that I can continue to build my family tree. My great-great grandmother Maria Curtis (nee STannard) came to Canada in 1901 (?) with her son Edmond Harry (my great-grandfather) and her daughter Elizabeth Curtis.
I need to find out her husband's name, as well as any other information I can glean about him (Edmond's father).

•ID: I562329381
•Name: Edmond Harry CURTIS
•Given Name: Edmond Harry
•Surname: Curtis
•Sex: M
•Birth: 10 Oct 1874 in Hamstead, England
•Death: 1954 in Theodore Hospital, Theodore, Saskatchewan, Canada
•Note: REFN: 3126

Marriage 1 Isabella XXXXX XXXXXHAMS b: 2 Aug 1868 in Tonbridge Wells, Kent, England
•Married: in Canada
•Note: REFN370
1. Lillian (Lily) Elizabeth CURTIS b: 5 Apr 1905 in Jedburgh, Saskatchewan, Canada
2. XXXXX XXXXX CURTIS b: 29 Jul 1911 in Theodore, Saskatchewan, Canada

Frank was my grandfather, and I'd like to know who his grandfather was.
Thank you.

Brian Robert Curtis
email;[email protected]
Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX home, XXX-XXX-XXXX work
Hi Brian, I started looking up Edmund's information for you. One thing that I did find was that Edmund and Isabella arrived in Canada aboard the vessel Lake Ontario from Liverpool on the 10th of April, 1903. Maria did not go to Canada until 11th of Dec., 1909 on the vessel Hesperian. I haven't found when Elizabeth immigrated yet. Also, I have narrowed down the date of Edmund's father's death. He had to have died between 1874 and 1881. I may have a good lead on this also by looking at the 1871 census. Anyway, just wanted to give you an update. I'll post more as I find it. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This is very interesting, Thank you.

I'm curious about the family arriving seperately as I had information given to me that Edmund, Elizabeth and Maria arrived together in 1901. Please continue, I am very curios as to the name of Edmund's father as my family tree building is stuck in limbo until I can continue. I will click 'accept' with a little more information as I do appreciate your efforts.

Thank you.

- Brian Curtis.

ps... I'm not sure what to think about this, but this website says The Lake Ontario's last voyage was in June of 1902...?

Hello, I have found someone to look up Edmund's actual birth certificate. It may take several days to get it, but as soon as I have it, I will upload it for you. In the meantime, here is a link to a document with the ship's records for Edmund and Isabella and Maria. Cheers~
Hello, just checking in to let you know that I am still waiting to receive the birth certificate. I will post it as soon as I get it. Thanks for your patience.
I got it!! Here is the link to the birth certificate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you! Of course now I have a million more questions... when/how did James die? Where/when was he born, who was his father .... etc. (!) ?

;) - Brian

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi again.

Do I have th eability to ask more questions? I wonder because the information you have so far supplied to me brings to mind many, many questions, such as:

1) I thought my G-G-Grandmother Maria's maiden name was Stannard, yet my G-Grandpa Edmund's birth certificate says her maiden name is XXXXX XXXXX naturally I wish I knew what this was all about?

2) My G-G-Grandfather James, Edmund's father, is listed as a 'coachman' and now I wish I knew when/where he was born... you previously mentioned that you had a lead on his death (date/place) but I have not seen that information from you... did you find anything?

Quote: (Also, I have narrowed down the date of Edmund's father's death. He had to have died between 1href=" and 1href="" I may have a good lead on this also by looking at the 1href=" census)

3) I will now seek information on the marriage of Maria and James, and would like to find James' birth-certificate as well, in order that I may determine who HIS father was?

(and on-and-on...)

4) I cannot understand why my great-great-grandmother and my great-grandfather and his wife, who lived right near the major port of Southampton, would travel all the way across England to depart for Canada from Liverpool..(!?). This one really puzzles me.

Is any of this information you can help me with, and at what cost?

Thank you!

- Brian Curtis.

Hi Brian,

You can definitely ask more questions. I am not allowed to discuss price, per JustAnswer policy. I haven't had a chance to look for much more. The birth certificate will definitely help the process. I'll keep searching and I'll let you know as more information comes up. Thanks!
I have an update...I think I found James and Maria before they got married. I still can't find their marriage records, but I think I found them. And get this, his mother's name was Elizabeth and her father's name was Edmund. They named their children after their parents. I'm still trying to verify that this is really them, but it seems like a strong possibility. If I could find their marriage record, I would know for sure. Just wanted to let you know. I'll upload the census images later. Thanks.
In the marriage index, it is just an alphabetical list of names. I was able to match up a possible Maria Burton who got married in April 1871 to a possible James Curtis who also got married in 1871, both in New Forest, Hampshire. The marriage certificate can be ordered through for $38 (US). Geographically and with the timelines given, this matches up. How would you like me to proceed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I need to keep going now, so if you can, please purchase the marriage certificate via my credit card. Thank you.

- Brian

Brian, I can't use your credit card to purchase it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do we proceed then? Are you able to purchase it (JustAnswer) and then charge me for it or...?

I don't belong to, nor do I want to, which is what lead me to you originally.

- Brian

I personally can purchase it. If, or how much, your decide to reimburse me would be up to you. I am basically just a contractor with JustAnswer so they would not purchase it. If you are okay with that, I'll do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am absolutely OK with that, and I appreciate it... and I will reimburse you, I promise!

- Brian

OK, I'll order it. I'll let you know when I get it. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi. I'm still waiting on this, right? DId I ever press 'accept' yet for you...?

- Brian Curtis

Hi Brian, yes you accepted when I got the birth certificate. I am still waiting on my order for the marriage certificate. I am hoping to receive it any day. As soon as I get that, I will let you know. Thanks!

Well, you must have had some sort of 6th sense...Guess what was in my mail box today? James Curtis married Maria Burton on April 17, 1871 at Hythe. He was 26 and she was 32. His father is listed as Harry Curtis and her father is Edmund Burton. Edmund Burton and Charlotte Curtis were the witnesses. Here is the link to the certificate:

Also, I think I know where the Stannard name came in. James' sister, Charlotte, married a Stannard.

And then, I found all of this information:

James' father was Harry Curtis b. 1819. His mother was Sarah b. 1815.

Maria's father was Edmund Burton b. 1811. Her mother was Kate Carr Burton.

Harry Curtis' father was Henry b. 1786, d. 1857. His mother was Elizabeth (Etheridge?) b. 1786.

I am putting together the documents for you.