Norman M.
Norman M., Researcher, Lecturer and Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), ECP and UKCP Registered.
Type Your Question Here...

several times in the past 2 or 3 months - shortly after falling

several times in the past 2 or 3 months - shortly after falling asleep, i wake with a jolt thinking a man is standing very close to the bed watching me. one time i thought he was going to put a blanket over my face and i screamed. This man does not seem particularly threatening or scary, except the one time, when i thought he would put a blanket over my face.
What is happening to you is a perfectly normal situation. As you fall asleep, you enter a state between full consciousness and real sleep - it's called a hypnogogic state, and we all experience it every time we drop off to sleep.

In this state, our minds are still very, very active and are rather liable to produce so called 'artifacts' - sensations of awareness which are in fact completely false.

Interestingly enough, they can vary from being very pleasant to a bit scary, much depending on what is going on in our lives at the time. Often too, these take on the characteristics of some of the things we desire the most, or the things we fear the most.

The main thing is, it really is completely natural - and harmless!

Best wishes,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thanks, i guess maybe too much going on in life and i need to relax more before bed. it is not really scary, just annoying since it happened again last night.