A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Hairstylists question. How doe I get hair satisfaction both

Hairstylists question. How doe I get hair satisfaction both color and style. My hair tends to pull red easily and I want a basic brown with a pure green base. No I don't want my hair to be green but I don't want red, gold, or blue base and mixing blue and yellow doesn't work either. I am just as unsatisfied to do it myself for MUCH less $$$ and time. I had one hair stylist get it right one time but never again. He used something I thought was called pure green mixed with color (not exactly sure) however, the one time he got it right I got more compliments on my hair than ever before.

Also, because I am over 40 and closer to 50 and even when I was younger everyone wants to chop my hair to at least chin length. I've done that a couple of times and my face looked fat and round and I could not put it up in a ponytail for working out. The next thing the "professionals" want to do is put lots of layers in my fine unmanageable hair. I can deal with longer than chin length layers and even bangs but my hair doesn't hold a style 30 mins after walking out of a salon. It will look great in the salon and then 30 mins after leaving it looks nothing like it did when I left the salon. I've tried styling myself and sometimes start out with a great look and as soon as I leave the house it totally changes. Of course, any humidity whatsoever really does some quick damage. Humidity or not my hair will quickly droop, wave, flatten, curl in some place, straighten in others etc. On the rare occasions that I have a good hair day I want to wear a T-shirt that says "good hair day" otherwise I would have to wear a ball cap that says "bad hair day" 9 days out of 10. Can you help me with both of these issues - color and style.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I'm not a hairdresser, but your problems could be describing me - except my hair is probably redder. Many beauty supply stores sell a product by Ardell called red-gold color corrector. It is actually a violet, which is stronger than green for combating red. Use it every time you color, whether you are using a permanent or demi-permanent color. There are probably other brands out there, but that is the one I have had success with, and it is the only brand carried by Sally Beauty Supply. You can also add it to your shampoo and conditioner to fight red between colorings. Use gloves if your nails are natural since daily exposure to the shampoo can darken them. If you try the color corrector, you may want to use a demi-permanent color first to see if you like it - not as long a commitment. Of course, the easiest way to cover red is to go darker, but that isn't what I want to do as I get older and it probably isn't what you want either.

Fine hair retains style longer if it is no more than chin length, but I appreciate that you can't wear it in a ponytail. Layers don't really help fine hair unless you have some stacking to provide fullness in the last couple of inches of hair. A perm helps matters, but combined with coloring it puts too much stress on the hair. I wouldn't do it.

Don't let them cut layers above chin level unless you are prepared to use a lot of bobby pins along with a pony tail holder for the longer strands.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't know how to go in and change the feedback to Positive. My legal question and my medical questions were answered better than those of Doctors and Attorneys I saw and talked to in person here locally and I gave positive feedback and a small bonus for those answers. And one of them wasn't what I was hoping to hear but he was truthful and gave me a professional answer.

Unfortunatly, there just wasn't anything more in this answer than I've been told before. That was just the luck of the draw I suppose on you getting my question instead of some other poor soul that would have probably given the same or siimilar answer. I currently do not have a job and I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth so throwing out a bonus regardless of how small it might be just isn't in my budget. Affordability is the reason I am asking these questions through this service.

Please let me know how I can change my feedback from neutral to positive. that's the best I can do. Sorry to have made this mistake.

No bonus is ever expected. It's always an incidental surprise, but positive feedback is usually expected by experts if someone has given the only accurate advice possible. I doubt that feedback can be changed after it has been entered, but I have sent your request to the powers that be, just in case :-)

I wish you luck in getting rid of the "reds." It's been a lifelong battle for me, more concentrated now that I'm showing a bit of gray along with all those red highlights. The Ardell works for me. I use it in 10 volume along with light ash brown color and color about every 3.5 to 4 weeks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are right. You gave accurate answers. I should have given a positive feedback. My thinking wasn't good in retrospect of the results. My apologies. I too will check . further to see if I can change the feedback. Thank you very much for your latest reply. It was very nice. If i were to ask another question could I give another feedback? If so, just answer with "shave your head and buy a wig"

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
I think that is my only real solution!

LOL. I actually did buy one for those days when I don't want to go outside without a bag over my head. My hairdresser cut it exactly like my own hair (thinned it out a lot!) and you really can't tell the difference. Great when I have to do rounds at 7 a.m. and my hair won't cooperate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just need to wear one every day and quit fretting and fighting it. Have a good rest of the day and thanks for understanding. I've made a strong request to change my feedback to what it should have been to start with. My bad.

You're so welcome. Have a great week yourself!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the best I was able to get was to have the feedback deleted. I hope that is better than the what was. Do you know if I can request you specifically with a new question?
Thanks! Yes, you can request any expert. Just put their name in the title of the question. I'm the only Schuyler here - or most any place else

Register Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did a new question directly to you. You can give me any kind of response. Just a funny one is fine. Maybe this time I can give the correct feedback and try to makeup for my mistake. Sandra