Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Type Your Question Here...

Is it true that, in regards XXXXX XXXXX real diamond, if you put a

Customer Question

Is it true that, in regards XXXXX XXXXX real diamond, if you put a dot on a peice of paper and can see a circle then its a fake?
Category: General
Expert:  Jennifer SR replied 5 years ago.
Hi, the dot on the paper method works with cut stones, but it sounds like you may be talking about an uncut stone? You would probably be better off taking it to a jeweler to be evaluated. I hope you did find one! How exciting!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply! It is a round cut stone. So what you are saying is if it is a cut stone and you can see a circle through it then its a fake whereas a real cut diamond you wont?

Thanks again

From what I understand, you are correct. This works on unmounted, cut stones. You put a dot on a piece of paper, set the stone on it, and if you see a circle, then it is probably a fake. The other thing is to look with a magnifying glass for scratches on the surfaces. Thanks!