A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Looking for my grandfather Wahlfr. Eriksson, born in Finland

Looking for my grandfather Wahlfr. Eriksson, born in Finland June 30, 1870. Came to America by S.S. New York on April 30, 1901. Destination Hoboken. Lived in New Jersey (I think) when he died 1945-1950? Wedded in America. Many children. Had become a catolic.
His first wife Amand Josefina lived on Åland, Finland with his sons. He was baptiszed Augustinus Walfrid Eriksson.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I found a Walfred[sic] Erickson, age 50 (born about 1870 in Finland) in the 1920 CENSUS for Berlin, Wayne County, PA where he was a dairy farmer. He was widowed and living alone. Do you think this might be your grandfather?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right now I don't know. What I know about him is everything I have written. I'm leaving for the States on Wednesday 30th March. Between the 8-10th of April I well be visiting a woman that once was my aunt. She was married to my fathers brother. I'm hoping she might remember something about my grandfather. It she who has told me that he had become a catolic and had many children. My grandmother died in 1938 in Finland. But they got divorced around October 1924 of what I have heard. I believe he died about 1945-1950 or later. I saw him on his death bed and an old woman was also there which I believe could be his wife. I have always thought he died in New Jersey, but maybe some where else. I haven't any idea if he was a farmer in the States or no. He was 30 years old in 1901 when he came to Ellis Island, so he might have had another occupation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to say that my contact in the States died 1 month before I arrived, therefore no visit or information that can help me finding my grandfather.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.

In the 1910 Census for Duluth Ward 6, Saint Louis, Minnesota, Walfred Erickson, age 40, lived with his second wife Clara, age 28. They had been married two years and had two children, a daughter age 2 (name looks like Rundna) and a son just born who hadn't been named. Both children were born in Minnesota. His occupation is listed as saloon keeper. Clara was also from Finland and had arrived in the USA in 1903.

As I said, he was in the 1920 census for Berlin, Wayne Co., PA, (Walfred Erickson)listed as widowed, age 50, living alone. His occupation is listed as dairy farmer. He also stated that he arrived in the USA in 1901 and was not naturalized.

In the 1930 census, Walfred Erickson, age 58, is living in Palisades Park Borough, Bergen Co., NJ, at 70 W. Harwood Terrace with his wife Olga, age 46 who came to the USA in 1903. His occupation is listed as being a carpenter in the shipyard.

I did not find a death notice for him.