A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

Searching for info on Johann Georg Loder a Hessian in 1776. I

Customer Question

Searching for info on Johann Georg Loder a Hessian in 1776.
I am trying to find the military records of Johann Georg Loeder. He was in the army during the revolutionary war. He came over in 1777. He was born in 1850 in Schaeftersheim, now Weikersheim in Wurttemburg, Germany. His wife's name is XXXXX XXXXX pin down as it is spelled a different way in each of the records I've found....Eva, Sabina, Maungerer, Munger, it is never the same. He was in Captain School's unit and was in Canada. He was discharged min Canada in 1782 and had been in the army for 5 years.
It is very difficult for me to search these records as I know no German and it is all in the fancy writting of the times.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pauline Letourneau
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 3 years ago.

Hello, Pauline,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. "The German Colonists of St-Gilles, and their descendants in Lotbiniere" by Arthur Caux, M.D. (Saint Flavien) lists George Löder as being in the captain de Schoell's company of the Hanauer Jager. A Jager usually comprised about 30-40 men. He served as sergeant of the militia in St. Gilles, and died there in December 1795. His wife was Eva Sabina (or Larina although Lorina is not a likely German name) Munger or Manger(German feminine ending of Larina/Munger is Mungerin). Another possibility for the name is Münger/Muenger or Muenker. Children were Jean-Philippe (baptized 1786) and Pierre (born 08 Sep 1789 at Saint-Gilles, Lotbiniere, Quebec). Georg and his brother Jean came to Canada together.

I have seen postings online that referred to two wives, the first being named Epha or Effa Sabina. "Epha" and "Effa" seem like someone's phonetic spelling of the given name Eva. Sabina is not a surname.

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've known that Georg was in Capt. Schoels unit and according to the information I have on George his first name was Johann = Jean and I know that he cme on the ship with Captain Rall in 1777. I did not know that there was a brother with him. Was he also in the Hessian Army? Do you have any indication where Georg and Eva might have been marriend and When?

Colonel Rall (Rahl) was mortally wounded in the Battle of Trenton when his troops were routed on December 26, 1776. He died the following day. His ship had arrived in mid-August 1776, so that is when George must have come (i.e. 1776 instead of 1777). Rall was at the Battles of Long Island on 27 Aug 1776 (just two weeks after the Hessian troops had landed), the Battle of Brooklyn (also known as Flatbush or White Plains) on 28 October 1776 and the Battle of Trenton that started on Christmas Day 1776. The Hanau Jägers were at the Battle of Trenton so your George may have been there as well.

Hessian soldiers are very difficult to trace since little was written about them unless they were fairly high-ranking officers. I found nothing on George's brother Jean, other than that they arrived together on the troop ship, so presumably he was also a soldier.

I found no information on George's marriage.