A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

My wife and I have blue cross/blue shield of NY for our primary

My wife and I have blue cross/blue shield of NY for our primary health coverage. We also have Medicare A, and I have medicare B. We live in New Jersey. My chiropractor is also in NJ and when he bill BC/BS for his services, they tell him he is 'out of their network.' It stops there. Why does Medicare A or B provide the insurance to pay him. Allan Karson
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 6 years ago.

Hello, Allan,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Each insurance company has the autonomy to choose which practitioners are in their networks and which ones are not. It has nothing to do with Medicare. BC/BS supplemental insurance where I am doesn't pay chiropractors at all since our BC/BS doesn't consider them medical providers.

Generally, when one is enrolled in Medicare, that becomes their primary insurance with BC/BS (or some other company) as secondary insurance.