Lucy, Mensa Member
Experience:  Expert Internet Researcher and Trivia Master
Type Your Question Here...

Do I qualify as a Deist I believe Christ was the son of God

Do I qualify as a Deist? I believe Christ was the son of God and died on the cross for the sins of mankind, as well as in the existence of heaven & hell. But, in terms of Christian influence on my spiritual beliefs, that's the extent of it. Thus, I don't identify as a Christian. I think the Bible was written by MEN, has been distorted throughout history and cannot be trusted. In fact, I pretty much reject all forms of organized religion. In general, though I do believe God created the universe, I do not believe he typically intervenes in human affairs or suspends the natural laws of the universe. I DO believe he CAN, though, and am open to the possibility of such occurring on occasion -- but by no means as a common practice (and I am, nonetheless, very skeptical of individual claims of divine intervention). So, basically, does me being OPEN (but still skeptical) to possibility of occasional (but by no means common) divine intervention, as well as my FEW Christian-influenced beliefs, still qualify me as a Diest? Or am I something else entirely?

Religion is a very personal matter. You can choose to subscribe to any philosophy, and you can identify yourself as a part of a religion if you adhere to their core beliefs, even if you don't follow every part of the philosophy. Many people who identify themselves as Christians, Jews, etc. have some conflicting beliefs.

With that said, Deists generally believe that a supreme being created the universe. This belief is rooted in observation, logic, and reason, more than blind faith. Deists also believe that this Supreme Being does not interfere in our every day lives, because he has a plan that may not be altered. Typically, Deists reject the idea of miracles or prophecies and forms of organized religion. The argument could be made that, if you are open to the possibility of divine intervention, you are not a true Deist. This article, and others on this site, may help you with some of your questions:

Christianity is the belief that Jesus is the Son of God who was sent to Earth to save us from our sins. You can be a Christian without attending a particular church, or subset. There a dozens of different offshoots of Christianity, each with their own fine-tuned belief systems. So, ultimately, it's up to you.