Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

How do I know if I have an edible variety

Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

The one cultivated have been selected for special trait and are usually producing sterile seed (it give a hint on that side). You could also get a part of it's rhizome and taste the starch grain, they should be a bit sweet and visible to the eyes.

If you know the name of the variety you have, here is a list of those found for agriculture:

* C. 'Brick Canna'
* C. 'Chinese Purple
* C. 'Edulis Dark'
* C. 'Edulis Green
* C. 'Japanese Green'
* C. 'Korean yellow flower'
* C. 'Korean Green Stem'
* C. 'Korean Red Stem'
* C. 'Queensland Arrowroot'
* C. 'Thai-purple'
* C. 'Thai-green'
* C. 'Tous les Mois'
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thankyou very much!

We actually cooked some and found the rhizome was still too fibrousy even after lots of cooking. The little young side buds were soft and pleasant to eat. But there were few of them. I think there would be a lot of work to extract the starch.

Yours,

Betty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not understand. You sound as though you have charged me when I have not received any request for money. Nowhere was a charge mentioned. Thankyou for the reply but what is going on?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
The way the site work is that you are invited to put a good faith deposit. The expert then give an answer and follow-up if needed. When the customer is happy with the information, the customer click the "accept" button and the deposit is cashed by the company and the expert get a percentage. If the customer is not satisfied with the answers and don't click "accept", the amount stay in it's account. The customer can always get the deposit refunded if he don't plan to ask another question in the future.

Just ask if you want any more information about the site or with your original question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like the company to be more up front about the charges. I do not have much money so have to be careful. I am worried that I can not afford the cost and would not have asked any question if I had known. What do you charge?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, i was out of town. The way the site work is that the customer choose an amount and the expert decide to take or not take a question. When i took yours the price was shown as $10.95 US.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is a lot of money, I did not see that written anywhere. I will pay but I will not be using the service again unless I am desperate, which of course i wasn't this time.