Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

I was married for 2 years and my husband died of a sudden

I was married for 2 years and my husband died of a sudden death.At the time of his death he was not working. My husband became estranged from his parents before his death.I would like to know if I am entitiled to anything that my husband had invested or had saved up before we got married. To my knowledge, my husband had given almost all of his paychecks to his dad because he had to pay off some of his college bills. So when he passed on, I didn't receive anything ... i had no knowledge of what i had to do ...didnt ask anyone.It's already been 9 years since my late husband passed away...not sure if my question is even worth asking a this time.
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 6 years ago.

Linda Roch :

Hello and welcome! If you have any other questions, please let me know or please click Accept.

Linda Roch :

It sounds like your husband died intestate, meaning without a will.

Linda Roch :

In this circumstance, if you were his legal wife, you should have gotten most of all of his estate if he had anything.

Linda Roch :

However, if he had debt, whatever he had in his estate would first go to pay that off.

Linda Roch :

So if he had more debt than money in his estate, you would not get anything.

Linda Roch :

His parents would be secondary to you and any children he had without a Will so if there was money, you would have had a good chance of getting it.

Linda Roch :

At this point, you can still probably reopen probate on his estate but the possibility of there being any money left over is very small.

Linda Roch :

What you will probably find is that he had more debt than assets or that his parents got what he had and they don't have it anymore, and trying to sue his parents at this point may not be worth it.

Linda Roch :

It may also be difficult to figure out what he had 9 years ago as official probate with the courts may never have been opened, especially if he didn't have much.

Customer:

thank you for the information...