A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

my great grand mother was emmaline shores slupe...she

my great grand motherwas XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX...she was born in staceyville iowa...i was told that she was native american....i am assuming sioux or iowa tribe....what can i do to validate the indian tribe ????? emmas son, my grandfather XXXX XXXXXX XXXXX died in austin minnesota in 1958, he had very thick straight black hair and copper skin....he was very tall and was a great hunter...<br /><br />i got the following information from the family bible.<br />emma (XXXXXX XXXXX) shores was born nov 23, 1859<br />she died feb 20, 1930<br />her parents were XXXXX XXXXXX and XXXXXXXX XXXXX <br />freeman died june 16, 1892 at staceyville ,iowa- mitchell county<br />XXXXXXXX XXXXX died march 28, 1895 at osage iowa<br />XXXX XXXXX XXXXX had a hog farm in rose creek mn near austin mn<br />austin,mn is 30 miles north of staceyville, iowa<br /><br /><br />emma married XXXXX XXXX<br />john clifford slupe my paternal grandfather was born sept 20, 1883<br />my father XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX was born july 5, 1915<br />
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I've traced your great grandmother back several generations and not the first Indian fell out of the family tree. Here is what I found:

XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

Emma's parents:

XXXXXX XXXXX b XXXXXX XXXXX, XXXXXX XXXXX., XX and XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXX

Emma's maternal grandparents:

XXXXXX XXXX XXXXXX XXXXX., NY and

XXXX XXX XXXXXX XXXXXb XXXXXX XXXXX .XXXXX , XX

Emmaline's maternal great grandparents:

XXXXX XXXX b XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX and

XXXXXXX XXXX b XXXXXX., NY

And

XXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXX XX

XXXX XXXXXXb XXXXX XXXXX XXXX., XX

Emmaline's maternal great-great grandparents:

XXXXX XXXXX XXXX XXXX XXX and

XXX XXXX b XXX XXXX XXXX., CT

AND

XXXX XXXXX XXXX., CT and

XXXX XXXX b XXX

AND

XXXX XXXX XXXXX XX IT b XXXXX XXXX XXXX., XX

AND

XXX XXXX b XXXX XXXXX XXXXX XX and XXXX XXXXX (Baughman) XXXX XXXX XXXXX XX

Emmaline's paternal grandparents:

XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX XX and

XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX

Emmaline's paternal great-grandparents:

XXXX XXXXX XXX b XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XX and

XXXX "XXXXX" XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XX

AND

XXXXX XXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXand

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XX

Emmaline's paternal great-great-grandparents:

XXXXX XXXXX b XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX and

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

AND

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX and

XXXXXX XXXXX b XXXXXX XXXXX

AND

SHORES - unknown

Stephens - unknown

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now i am curious as to what tribes, and any genetic testing me or my brother would need to do<br />also which of emma shores slupes relatives were native americans

I doubt you need to do any testing. I didn't find any of Emma's relatives that were Native American. Emma's mother's line (XXXXXXX XXXX) goes back to England and Germany. The Shores line goes back to New York in 1755 where I lost his particular line. However, there were Shores in Ireland and England who came to this country in the 1600s, and Schorrs in Germany and the Netherlands who emigrated in the late 1600s early 1700s. The Horton line goes back to Leicestershire, England. Unless there were illegitimate births that no one is listing, there is no part of your line that is Native American. You would be surprised at how many people have the family story of American Indian ancestry, and they are very disappointed to find out that it really is just a romantic story. I'm sorry I couldn't find the first Indian for you, but it just isn't there.

Straight black hair and copper skin aren't exclusive to Native Americans. Black hair in particular is also found in many English, Welsh, and Irish ancestors, and some of them can be dark-skinned as well.