A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

I am researching my paternal Wyatt line, and have gotten back

I am researching my paternal Wyatt line, and have gotten back to my earliest known and confirmed Wyatt ancestor, William born in 1799 in Somerset, Pulaskie Kentucky. I know that he and his wife, Jane Barrow are both buried in Jones Cemetery in White Hall, IL. He died in 1839. They were married in 1819 in Madison County, IL, but there is no certificate of their marriage at the county clerk's office in Edwardsville, IL. He was a farmer and land owner in what became Greene County, White Hall, IL. I would love to trace my roots back to England, but have been unable to find William's parents' names. I have discovered that there are many Wyatt lines which has made my task more difficult. What can I do to break through this brick wall?
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. In 1749, one John "Mallery" (actually Mallory) imported a man named William Wyatt to Orange Co., VA. He was from Foreham, Hampshire, England. After working off his indenture, William Wyatt moved around Virginia and eventually married Dorothy McInturff 11 August 1787 in Shenandoah Co., VA. She was the daughter of Christopher McInturff and his wife Christina. Christopher and Christina and some of their children and their families moved west to Pulaskie and Christian Counties Tennessee. In 1799 William Wyatt (husband of Dorothy) owned 200 acres on Little River in Christian Co., KY. He sold it in 1816 and bought land in 1822 in Greene Co., IL. A number of his family moved along with him. Their children were Elizabeth (m John Hunter), Deborah (m David McInturff), Christina (m George Hunter), William (m Jane Barrow), Rebecca (m John Wyatt), Emily (m Jacob Wyatt) and a number of children who did not survive to adulthood. There is a question about whether William was born 19 May 1797 or 19 May 1799 along with his sister Rebecca.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is very interesting. I am wondering how you found this information. What documents led you to this? I've been searching for many months along with a distant cousin of mine who frequently travels back to White Hall, IL to visit her mother. She found William and Jane Barrow's grave stones in Jones Cemetery. They had a son named Thomas, my 2nd great grandfather. Thomas had a son named Obediah, my great grandfather, who in turn had my grandfather, XXXXX XXXXX. Is there a way to trace the line back further in England?

I am a native Virginian and have access to a lot of information on people who settled here and then went west. My husband's German ancestors settled in what is now Shenandoah Co., VA (but was then Orange Co.) in 1744. My own family were settlers in the Northern Neck of Virginia in the 1600s. In 1749 when William Wyatt was imported to Virginia, Orange County extended to the Mississippi River and to the Great Lakes, and included much of the Blue Ridge Mountains through which the Shenandoah valley passes. If you want to order more information, see the following publications. Your nearest large library with a genealogy department can order them for you through interlibrary loan (either in print or on film).

HUDGINS, DENIS. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, Vol. 5, 1741-1749. Richmond [VA]: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1994. p. 358

Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Volume 30, #2, p. 79. On 05 Sep 1749, John Mallary[sic] received 190 acres of land in Orange County for the importation of 6 individuals from England: William Wyatt, John Adam Corn, John Colthard, Thomas Dickson, George Holden, Samuel Pennell.

The marriage of William Wyatt to Dorothy McInturff is in the Shenandoah marriage records. They do not state that he is from England, but if you trace the migration pattern of him and his McInturff in-laws you will know that it is the same man.

Tracing further back to England could possibly be done since you know his place of birth was Foreham, Hampshire, England. I don't have access to records from there though so you would need to get them through your library or a Family History Center.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Two more questions, then I click accept: 1) where did you find the names of William and Dorothy's children and their spouses? 2) I found a bill of sale through Ancestry.com for 80 acres of land purchased by William Wyatt in Illinois (district of Edwardsville) dated 1822. I had assumed that this William was Jane Barrow's husband. What evidence did you find for William's (Dorothy's husband) sale of 200 acres of land in KY, and the 1822 purchase in Illinois? Perhaps it is his name on the bill of sale, but how can I know for sure? Thank you for you help!

1. From the birth, census, and marriage records of the places they occurred (Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky)

2. Sometimes you have to put things into perspective. In 1799 a William Wyatt owned 200 acres in Christian Co., KY. The younger William would have been only about 1-3 years old (depending on which birthday 1797 or 1799 you accept). By the time it was sold in 1816, the younger William was still only 17-19. In 1822 when the land in Illinois was purchased, the younger William was only 23-35. It was his father who owned the land in Kentucky and purchased the land in Illinois. You will find both William junior and senior and the married daughters in the census for Madison Co., IL starting 1820. His name is XXXXX XXXXX the real estate records for the sale of the land and the purchase in Illinois. It is common sense though that differentiates whether it was senior or junior (who wasn't even married yet) doing the buying.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I get what you are saying and will follow up on the 1820 Illinois census, however, records show that William and Jane were married in 1819 in Edwardsville, IL, so it seemed possible that he started purchasing land shortly thereafter. I thank you for your valuable input in my search. You have given me some direction and some avenues for further exploration. Thanks again for your help and your very quick response!
You're so very welcome. Good luck with your research.
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research