A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

We have been able to research our Wallace Family line back

Customer Question

We have been able to research our Wallace Family line back to Jonathan Wallace 1748-1818 who was born near Fredericksburg, Va. in the USA. We are trying to determine if he was the son of a Dr. Michael Wallace who had emigrated from Glascow, Scotland to Maryland about 1740. Can you help me find a direct connection in this family? If it were not Dr. Michael Wallace, maybe your records show someone else. What can you tell me aboutthis Wallace connection? Thank you.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Dr.Michael Wallace and his wife XXXXX XXXXX eloped from her home in Charles Co., MD because her father objected to their marriage. They settled in "Ellerslie" King George County Virginia. They had the following known children:

1. Unknown Infant b 111 Jul 1748 d date unknown. This would be your only chance that this was your Jonathan, but most historians indicate this baby was stillborn.

2. William Wallace b 20 Nov 1749 d 10 Jan 1750

3. Gustavus Brown Wallace b 09 Nov 1751

4. James wallace b 28 Sep 1755

5. XXXXX XXXXX Wallace b 26 Jul 1757

6. Rebecca Wallace b 1759

7. John Wallace (twin) b 19 Jan 1761

8 Thomas Wallace (twin) b 19 Jan 1761

I will look for other possibilities.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your research on Dr. Wallace. I still am at a loss to go further back than Jonathan Wallace. Where was he prior to being in this area? Who came from Scotland before him or how do you suggest I go from here? Thank you. A. Williams
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Schuyler,

I am unsure whether I should respond with Accept or wait until your response to my additional question. Not sure how this works. Thanks. XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Who was Jonathan connected to and did he come directly from Scotland or who did? Thanks. Agnes

Hi, Agnes,

No, please don't accept yet. My husband and I are at our mountain home for a few more days. Sadly, while everything else here is wonderful, the at&t wireless service is not and we haven't had internet from Saturday until now. None of the Stafford and King George records that I want are online anyway, so I will have to wait until I can get home and go to the library next week. If it is all right with you, I will continue looking for your Jonathan then.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. Enjoy your few more days of mountain vacation. Agnes
Great! I'll see what I find next week.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Schuyler,

Are you back from the mountains yet? And have you looked at any more records. So far, I'm not sure you are where this is with Just Answer. Thanks. Agnes

Yes, we got back Sunday, but I've had to work extra hard at my "real" job to catch up. I was off this afternoon and spent it at the genealogy library - just got home. All to no end. I found nothing in Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg was its county seat), Albemarle, King George, Orange, etc. pertaining to Jonathan or John Wallace. He is really a mystery. I did learn the name of Michael and XXXXX XXXXX Wallace's firstborn child who died. She was Rebecca Wallace b and d 11 Jul 1748. They recycled the name when they had another daughter in 1759. I'm so sorry, but it sometimes happens that there are just no records to find.

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Schuyler,

Thank you for your efforts. We are going to Scotland this summer and maybe I can do a little research while there. I also have some research going on in the Clans Archival Library in Florida, but information is very sketchy there. Maybe we all just appeared from "Nowhere". Again, thanks and if you come across anything, please let me know. I'm going to go ahead and accept so you can get paid. Best wishes. Agnes Williams

Hi, Agnes,

Thanks so much for the accept and the generous bonus. How I envy you! Scotland is my favorite vacation spot in the world. I hope you will be able to find your Jonathan while you are there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Schuyler, FYI

I have heard again from the Clan Library in Florida. They are sending me additional information that indicates that Dr. Michael Wallace may be related to Jonathan. I'll be interested in seeing what that research says. Nevertheless, it seems to be a bit sketchy. Hope you have had a good week-end. By the way, two of my friends are Nurse Practioners and very smart. I think it takes something extra to do what you "girls" do! Agnes

You are too kind! I hope you will share what you learn with me. I am wondering if your Jonathan was a nephew of Dr. Wallace. He's too young to be a brother.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll let you know. Have a good week. It's rainy and cold here today in the Sunny South.
I'm in the South as well. It snowed here in Richmond yesterday.