A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

Origin of surname CLOEY and when they came to Australia

Category: General
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 3 years ago.
Did you mean COLEY?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Norman,

Re: CLOEY or COLEY

No, the spelling recorded on birth and death certificates is CLOEY but the earliest birth certificate is for George Harold Cloey born Coonamble 1879. Marriage certificate not available as there was a fire at Coonamble Court House and that is where William Cloey married Margaret Crowley 1/1/1878.

William Cloey died in and accident at Moree 5/1/1900 and from information from death certificate and a newspaper account of the accident he was born in Goulburn NSW 1848 but his father is only recorded as William and no mothers name.

I have only been able to find the name CLOEY recorded in English Census 1861.

Another time I found it in a phone directory in Ireland in more recent times under the name of Cloey but the household had the Coley name.

I do realise of course that the spelling of the name could have been written incorrectly at sometime or it could be part of a longer name.

Also, I have found a marriage certificate for a Mary A Cloey who married a James Christie 31.12.1891 (1891/006464) and her father is recorded as William Cloey from Cook's River near Sydney

Expert:  Norman M. replied 3 years ago.
Working on it!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other
NO ANSWER YET
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
No answer has been found to my question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for contacting us again. I have looked at all the English, Irish, Scottish and Australian records online and cannot find any more about your Cloeys than you have already found. There are no records online anywhere in the UK with that spelling. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but sometimes that happens with genealogy.

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
your expert come no where near answering my question. All the expert did was to repeat what I had said. I do not consider that an answer to my question.

Sorry you don't seem to understand. The answer is accurate. The answer is that no information exists online about the Cloey family.

We cannot manufacture information that isn't available, regardless of how much you want it. There is simply NOTHING available online even though I spent hours searching, as did the first genealogist who tried to help you. You would need to go in person and examine papers at all the places you think the Cloey family may have lived. Sometimes there just isn't any answer to a question. I am opting out of the question since I can't spend any more hours looking for something that doesn't exist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU.