Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
11056146
Type Your Question Here...

RE Baseball Cards I have around 20 or so- older ones, though

RE: Baseball Cards: I have around 20 or so- older ones, though have no idea if they have any value. If someone would like to respond, I can supply information on them. Thank you and I will await your response.
Category: General
Expert:  Jim Reilly replied 3 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

The value of old baseball cards depends on exactly what cards they are and what condition they are in.

If you let me know what cards you have (card number, player's name, manufacturer and year of issue) and what condition the cards are in, I can either give you or direct you to information about their value.

Be as specific as possible about the condition of the cards, as this is the most important factor -- include the general condition (e.g., mint condition or as brand new; used, creased, dinged corners, etc.), the centering of the picture on the card (are the borders equal, or is it somewhat off-center), any writing or other marks on the cards, and anything else that you can see about them.

If you have the ability to scan the cards and put them somewhere on the internet where I can see them (such as Facebook or SmugMug), that would also be helpful.

I see you are offline now. I will be going off before too much longer, but will check back tomorrow to see what information you can provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not being a Baseball Card Collector, I'll do my best with information. Not even sure if cards from 1988 are considered old enough? Somehow- I acquired them.
CARD # PLAYER'S NAME CODE/DATE/MANUFACTURER

582 Mike Henneman A* 1988 Topps Chewing Gum, Inc.
128 Johnny Grubb B* 1988 Topps Chewing Gum, Inc.
78 Dan Petry D* 1988 Topps Chewing Gum, Inc.
459 Mariners Leaders F* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
278 Andy McGaffigan E* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
326 Dennis Boyd A* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
121 Garry Templeton F* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
124 Jim Traber A* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
119 Terry Puhl D* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
328 Rick Honeycutt D* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
224 Tony LaRussa C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
463 Steve Lake B* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
453 Tom Prince C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
482 Steve Peters C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
244 Jim Acker C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
287 Juan Nieves C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
263 Mike Felder C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
361 Kelly Downs E* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
348 Ed Hearn C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
252 Billy Hatcher C* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
356 Kevin Elster F* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
470 Lance Parrish A* 1989 The Topps Company Inc.
42 XXXXX XXXXX C* 1990 The Topps Company Inc.
766 XXXXX XXXXX C* 1991 The Topps Company Inc.
506 Darnell Coles F* 1991 The Topps Company Inc. (2 cards)
658 Scott Aldred E* 1991 The Topps Company Inc.
747 Pete Incaviglia 1991 The Upper Deck Company
556 XXXXX XXXXX B* 1991 The Topps Company Inc.
412 Dave Bergman D* 1991 The Topps Company Inc.
170 Steve Avery 1992 O-Pee-Chee Co. Ltd. (looks a little worn, not protected)

To me- I think the cards are in really good condition, though I am not an expert on these. (Otherwise I would have your job- Ha!) I do not have a scanner though I can lay them out and take a photo of a group of them for you. If that is what you would want- just let me know how I can send them to you.
Thank you and I will await your response. Sharon
Hi againCustomer

Thanks for the list, but I'm afraid that I thought you were referring to much older cards. Cards from the late '80's and early '90's are, for the most part, quite common and of little value, even in mint condition. The baseball card companies over-produced in those years and even a complete set of 1989 Topps cards (792 in the set) can be purchased from a dealer today for $25-50.

Of those you listed, none are high value players (the best are LaRussa, Parrish and Honeycutt), but even their cards are worth in the $3-5 range in mind condition. The others are perhaps a buck or so each, assuming you can get someone to buy them. A dealer probably wouldn't even want them, and certainly wouldn't pay more than a quarter of the book value, if that, for the lot. You'd have to find a private buyer and even that wouldn't be easy.

To get some idea of the value of each card, go here:

http://prices.sportslizard.com/

Enter each card in the format shown (year, manufacturer, player's name) and it will give you an estimated value.

I'm sorry, but this group of cards will not make you rich!
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Attorney, Public Speaker, Honors Graduate USMA.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Like I said - Had NO IDEA regarding baseball cards... Ha! And I was hoping to be able to pay for that trip to Hawaii.... sure!!
Appreciate your help and Expert opinion!
Sincerely,
Sharon