A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

this is not really a legal question, but could you tell me

this is not really a legal question, but could you tell me if there was a judge of the supreme court by the name of August Brockey, He is a relative of long ago around 1860's & up. He was from Ulen, Yellow Medicine, Mn. Was in Wisconsin briefly about 1871, back to Mn & stayed there. Born in Norway, date unknown, but early 1830's. Our [email protected] Thank You, Russ & Jean Penne, Kalispell, MT

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Do you know what Supreme Court (US, one of the states)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I assumed it was supreme court of Mn. That is the only info we have on this gentleman.

There was not a Minnesota Supreme Court judge by that name. Here is a list going back to territorial days:

I'll check and see if I can find out anything more about him.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. August Brockey is my husbands great grandfather & we have been doing genealogy work. He is one hard man to find anything on, but we did have that tid-bit which unfortunatly did not pan out. But that is ok. He is like that priest in the Old Testament, no beginning & no end. We do have his children's names but running a checkon them still leaves us with nothing on him. But we thank you for you time.

I found an August Brockey in the 1870 CENSUS for Oshkosh, Winnebago Co., WI. He is some kind of a clerk (I can't read the writing) and it says he was born in Prussia:

August Brockey 32 M Single ________ __________ clerk b Prussia, both parents b Prussia.

In the 1900 CENSUS for Wood Lake, Yellow Medicine, Minnesota, I find what must be his sons:

Carl K. Brockey b Jul 1871 Single Head of house b WI Both parents born Norway

August S. Brockey b Apr 1882 Single Brother b MN Both parents b Norway

John E. Brockey b Mar 1878 Single Brother b MN Both parents born Norway

Mary Johansen (?) b Jun 1836 Single Aunt b Norway Both parents b Norway

That makes me think he married in Wisconsin late 1870 (after the 1870 Census) since Carl was born there in Jul 1871. Winnebago County has copies of marriage certificates going back to 1860, but they require a fee ($20) to search. Here is their information.