A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Still trying to find as many ANCESTORS as possible of JOHN

Still trying to find as many ANCESTORS as possible of JOHN SIMPSON (my 8 times great-grandfather) and where they came from initially (England?) Born: Circa 1653 In: Charles County, Maryland Died: July 26 1709 (at age ?~56?) In: Charles County, Maryland Married to Elizabeth Simpson in 1699 (she was born in 1679) They had a bunch of kids including Gilbertus 7 times great granfather. I enjoy knowing where each generation lived, but I'm also curious from where, when & how they may have gotten to the US.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I've been looking since you first posted your question. Is this the same John SIMPSON who married XXXXX XXXXX (1679-1747), daughter of XXXXX XXXXX about 1699 in Charles County, MD?

If so, he was the son of Thomas SIMPSON (1618-1690) and XXXXX XXXXXe WILLAN (abt 1622/3-1690) who were marriedXXXXX Mary's Co., MD. Thomas was from Stratherrick, Invernesshire, Scotland. He was christened 17 Nov 1618 in Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland. Thomas was the son of John SIMSONE[sic] and Janet HOG.

His wife XXXXX XXXXXe WILLAN was born about 1623 in Warwick, Cumberland, England to Richard and Elizabeth WILLAN of Warwick.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where in the world do you get this information??? :-) And what does the "(sic)" mean after the name SIMSONE above? Are you thinking this was just a misspelling or an actual name change (to SIMPSON)?

Sic is Latin and just means that is the way it was spelled in the source I saw. Spelling wasn't that big a deal before the 1900s and things were often recorded the way they sound. You will find Simpson (and many other given and surnames) spelled many ways - Sympson/Sympsson/ etc. Phonetic spelling has resulted in names like "Szeine" being "Jennie." That is one of my favorites. It isn't really that a name "changed," it's just that is what it sounds like.

I found this excellent resources after I had answered you. It probably goes into far more detail than you want to know, but I'll pass along the link any way.