A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

Schuyler....can you offer anyhelp on this My brother and I

Schuyler....can you offer anyhelp on this: My brother and I are trying to locate my brother's birth parents (names, locations....we have nothing). He's adopted. My brother's name isXXXXX born 11/23/1970--Fairfax Hospital (Virginia) we think....maybe Alexandria Hospital though. Currently all we know is that his birth family were Diplomats of some sort (we think) and the birth Mom was a teenager at the time. We're looking for details if possible. Our parents are Melvin Douglas Fortney (age 71) and Sarah Ellen (Simpson) Fortney (age 66) of Alexandria, VA.

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us again. I expect the adoption was sealed and remains completely confidential to this day and your brother would have to go to court to have it unsealed to gain access to his birth information. You can consult with an adoption attorney for more information. I'm located in Virginia, but I'm not a law expert.

You can also check out this site: http://www.gsadoptionregistry.com/virgina/19701979virginia.html

They help find information (if the birth family is willing to cooperate). In any event, it won't hurt to register with them.

You can also check this board: http://www.eboards4all.com/74706/index.html