General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
14716023
Type Your Question Here...

I am drywalling the bottom 12 of drywall around my entire

I am drywalling the bottom 12" of drywall around my entire basement wall because of a flood last year. I assume I can cut 3 pieces out of the width of a sheet of drydewall and assume I should not use any of the tapered end...correct? When I screw them to the wall, again, should i leave a 1/2" off the floor. When they are butted together, should i run some mud between the cuts before i tape the joints. Both cuts will be rough as the bottom of the wall was also cut 12" to remove any water damage and possibility of mold forming.

Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

A standard drywall board is 48" in width. If you are making accurate cuts then you would be able to get 4, 12" pieces out of a board. The drywall should also be lifted off of the floor approximately 1/4" - 1/2".

When the boards are hung and butted up to each other, now is the time to mud the drywall. Lay a thin coat of drywall mud over the seam and then cut the tape and lay it along the mud line and gently press it down. Now go back over the taped line with another thin layer of mud. Let dry.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand that drywall is 48" wide, my question was should i use the tapered ends. If yes, should 2 of the pieces cut go along the floor or butted to the sheet that is 1/2" with no tapers because i cut it 12" off the floor and that leaves no taper to butt joint them. Was thinking I had to go full thickness to butt the joints and now am wondering if i can cut 4 strip instead of 3 and leave the tapered side to the floor. Does that sound right or do 3 strips and cut out the tapers out of each side.

Thank you.

I would cut the 4 strips and leave the tapered sides to the floor. It is harder to finish a joint that is tapered against a cut. This will leave you butting a cut edge to a cut edge.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will i run into problems installing 2.5" baseboards with the tapers down there. Also, do i still fill the butt joint with some mud if i am using fibretape or do i just do a fine coat over top of the fibretape. how many coats of mud and how wide do i go

If you run a layer of mud along the bottom of the board that will take care of the tapered edge along the bottom.

You do not need a coat of mud underneat the fibertape because it has a sticky back and will adhere to the drywall. The first coat of mud over the fiber tape should be a relatively thick layer, approx. 1/8" to 1/4" thick. This will prevent the tape from showing through the layer of mud.

For a smooth finish, I would run 3 coats at 8", 10" and lastly 12"

General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience: General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.