Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I have a food question about vacuum sealing. What are the

I have a food question about vacuum sealing. What are the risks with vacuum sealing meats and fish, and re-sealing after the original package was opened? Also re-sealing using the same package numerous times?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

My apologies that your question did not receive an earlier reply; your patience is appreciated.

The main risks associated with vacuum sealing fresh meats and fish in general, are bacterial contamination before vacuum sealing, and/or storing already spoiled products.

You can re-seal with the vacuum sealer after opening the original package, several times, as long as the package, which was frozen, remains fully frozen and is sealed properly again, with the sealer. In other words, do not allow the meat/fish to thaw or partially thaw, then re-seal and re-freeze. The bags can sometimes be re-used, depending on the instructions and recommendations of the manufacturer of your particular sealer. For example, in the informative article below, the bags may be dishwasher safe, and may be re-used numerous times, if washed/cleaned thoroughly. The bags may also be microwaved and/or boiled, but it is not advisable to re-use those bags after they have been microwaved or boiled.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/vacuumsealers-1.aspx

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated and Bonuses are welcomed.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please click 'Reply'. Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My concern is one of my counterparts at my restaraunt is telling my employees to re-seal raw meats that are in marinade in vacuum bags. We butcher meats, not frozen, then cryovac them in marinades. My counterpart is saying it is ok to open the bag at the top, and at the end of the night re-seal in the same bag. There is marinade and raw juices all over the bag from top to bottom, and i think this will get someone sick. Sorry i wasnt more detailed. I know this cant be sanitary, but just wanted to ask an "expert" .
Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional detail.

I agree with you completely; if the bag with raw meat in a marinade, plus raw juices, is not vacuum sealed again, immediately after it is opened, you risk bacterial contamination once the meat is exposed to the air when the vacuum seal is broken. I would not chance this in any setting, especially a restaurant, as people could get sick.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist