Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best/cheapest health insurance option for my mom

What is the best/cheapest health insurance option for my mom? She is single (so only needs coverage for herself), lives in Ohio, she's 61 and has type 1 diabetes. She worked for a small company a year ago, so she didn't qualify for COBRA when she was laid off but she's had coverage for the last year under some kind of extension plan but it runs out tomorrow. She was offered continuation of coverage from her current provider, but it will cost her about $1,000 a month with a huge deductible which is basically the same as paying out of pocket. She is working as a contractor so they don't offer health insurance, but she's ineligible for medicare since she's not poverty level. But given the current situation she will probably go into poverty having to pay her medical costs out of pocket. What can she do?
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

For the time being she may need to take the offer of the extension of the insurance. The reason I say this is most Insurance companies will not accept a Person with a pre- existing Condition. Being a Type One Diabetic falls into this category. The insurance companies are very difficult to deal with. Most companies have the pre-existing clause and I personally have not been able to find one that does not have it. There are some organizations that offer a type of insurance, but it is very limited and again acceptance is usually not granted because of the problems with having something wrong. This link goes over the pre-existing conditions :

This link also has some of the insurance companies you may want to contact and may be able to help you:

I hope this helps you, as I have Lupus and have been forced to keep insurance that I cannot afford since I was on my husband's policy. Joan