Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

why is the marine magnetic anomalies on the border of the east

Customer Question

why is the marine magnetic anomalies on the border of the east pacific rise in the southeastern pacific ocean wider then those bordering the mid atlantic ridge in the south atlantic ocean?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question.

It is believed that the differences are most likely due the difference in the speed of separation at the two locations. According to Colombia University the he Mid-Atlantic Ridge separates at about 30 km/million yrs while the East Pacific Rise separates at about 120 km/million years. The faster separation results in a wider magnetic anomaly.

I hope this helps!

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry answer wasn't timely and we already requested a refund