Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Are there standard dimensions for a typical jacket pocket

Are there standard dimensions for a typical jacket pocket? Can anybody tell me what they are? We are designing a new product that is "pocket size" i.e. must fit inside a regular jacket pocket.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Are you referring to the outer (flap-type) pocket on a man's suit jacket, or the inner pocket of a suit jacket?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cher.
I refer to neither. What we need info on is an outside pocket on a standard outdoor jacket. Here is a link to the type of jacket I mean:

If you do need to narrow it down, please use casual equestrian jackets but not a show jacket. The link provides good examples.

Many thanks
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

At the link you provided, I viewed one outer jacket called the 'Hemlock' jacket, which has cargo pockets, and these are usually bigger than standard pockets, but many jackets do have them; however, for outerwear jackets, there doesn't seem to be a standard size, as it varies by manufacturer and style.

In my research, I did find an electronic pocket reader by Sony (meant to fit in any pocket), which listed the following dimensions: length--6 1/4", width--4 1/4", depth--13/32" inches. I thought this might help you gauge the size you would need to make your product, if this is what other (similar?) electronic 'pocket' products are measuring.

Another alternative would be to go to a local store selling men's outerwear, and take measurements of the jacket pockets on several different garments, in person.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please click 'Reply' and let me know. Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,

Edited by Cher on 2/22/2011 at 11:48 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Cher,
Thanks this is very helpful. Can you please clarify the dimensions in mm and provide me a link to the Sony product you mention. Then I will happily accept.
Hi again Heinrich, and you're most welcome!

I'm so glad you found the information helpful! This is the Sony product I was referring to:

Here are the dimensions in mm: 61/4 inches = 158.75mm, 41/4 inches = 107.95mm,
13/32 inches = 10.16mm

I wish you much good luck and success with your new product!

Best regards,