A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

Genealogy- looking for info on great grandmother-Amanda H.

Genealogy- looking for info on great grandmother-Amanda H. Turner(nee Spilde)

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for contacting us. Do you know approximately when she was born or died? Where she lived? Her husband's name?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My great grandmother was born Amanda Helen Spilde to Lars and Hulda Spilde in 1879 in Hesper Township, Winneshiek County, Iowa. She married Edwin H. Turner in 1895 at the Big Canoe Lutheran Church. They seperated/divorced sometime in the 1900s. She may have married John R Lewis with whom she had children. She did have children with Edwin Turner, my grandmother and 4 others. She died in her early 40s, I am told. She is listed in 1920 census but not the 1930 census.

Thanks for the additional information. She is also listed in the 1925 Iowa State census for Winneshiek Co., IA as XXXXX XXXXX (age 45) wife of XXXXX XXXXX (49), head of household, son Raymond (14), daughter Helen (11), son Carl (9), son Lyle (7), and daughter Charlotte Lewis (4). Carl (age 9) may be the same child as son Ralph who was listed as 4 5/12 years old in the 1920 Iowa Federal Census.

You can write to the Iowa Department of Public Health for a copy of the death certificate. It is reasonable to state that she died between 1925-1930.