John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering.
Experience:  Math, science and 25 years experience in computer programming
Type Your Question Here...

can I produce a countif formula that counts the number of

<p>can I produce a "countif" formula that counts the number of cells in a range by colour? i.e. cells D1:D300 have 140 orange, 100 red and 60 green and I wish to summarise. Many thanks</p><p> </p><p>Apologies, this is an Excel question</p>

Yes that can be done with a user defined function or macro.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi - thanks for this but are you able to let me know/illustrate how I can do this? Thanks Karen

I am afraid that requires quite a bit of work. You will need first to accept my answer since it has addressed your original question, then open a new question with appropriate amount for doing the macro

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi - the first answer has been accepted so if you are able to outline the formula required it would be appreciated. Many thanks Karen

Thanks Karen

I need your file so I can set up the macro on.

To do that, go to and upload the file there (no need to sign up). You will then get a page that has the download link and File ID. Copy the download link or the File ID and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks but for some reason the upload won't work. I've tried to resolve the query in another way, rather than colours look up and group the values. I have managed for two:

However, the ones I cannot get to work is the Countif for those that fall between 0-60 - could you please let me have the quick formula for that and hopefully it will resolve my whole issue and I can forget the macro for counting colours (for now). Thanks

Ok, here you go

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

am really sorry but that is coming up with FALSE. is the above not a subtraction formula? I need to count the number of instances where the value falls between zero and 60

Karen it should work if you have numbers in that range

Here is a sample file with the formula in the yellow cell

Did that work?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi - sorry for delay. I have no idea why but it's not working on my file. Have managed to upload my file to :

If you can see why I've done it wrong again, if not I'll close out on this query and give up. Thanks

Hi Karen

Here you go

(the download button is the blue button is at the bottom of the page)

The modified formula is in cell G3

Hope this helps