Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I am now in my 60s and have received massage therapy for quite

I am now in my 60's and have received massage therapy for quite a number of years in the past. I remember being very satisfied with Shiatsu and related deep tissue massage. However, I do not like, at all, any of the Swedish massages I have had experience receiving, and I was wondering why I do not like Swedish massage or this technique? Any ideas, aside from liking or disliking the massage therapist performing the massage.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I have experienced all these types of massage and understand why you were not satisfied after the Swedish massage, since you had had the majority of your experience with Shiatsu and Deep Tissue techniques. The main reason you did not care for the Swedish massage is because the massage therapist did not give you deep enough pressure. Shiatsu literally means 'finger pressure' in Japanese (“shi” meaning finger and “atsu” meaning pressure; which is also described as direct pressure), and is performed by the massage therapist primarily with the fingers, thumbs, and palms (and sometimes also with knees, elbows and feet) upon accupressure points of the body.

The massage therapist is supposed to 'check in' with you to ask 'how's the pressure?' at several times during the massage. If you were asked this, you could have asked for increased pressure, however, if the therapist was only experienced in Swedish massage and/or that's what your gift certificate entitled you to, that may be why no other massage techniques were performed.

Since you now know that you prefer Shiatsu and deep tissue massage, which is more penetrating, you will be able to request that type, when you get your next massage.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,