Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I cant find a category to fit my question. Its sort of a

I can't find a category to fit my question. It's sort of a research question.

What company is best positioned to get the market share for LED light bulbs for home consumption in the future?
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

As you mention market share, i would say Philips, Panasonic and General Electric (with GE probably exiting the market eventually if the margin get too low). Philips and GE because they already have mind share for light bulb, Panasonic because they are a big LED maker.

As to how far in the future LED bulb technology will last is to see, it sure won't be as long as the tungsten light bulb. You can expect to see super bright OLED panel and rolls eventually and quantum dot based lighting in the more far future.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the fluorescent (squiggley) bulb also going to be phased out in 2 yrs. along with the incandescent?
Fluorescent are still used because they are a more economical alternative (especially the long tubes), but they will eventually be phased out. I would think a good 4 year will be needed to phase out the smaller (bulb sized) ones. They include mercury and that is a priority to remove from lighting equipment. Also, the low cost of fluorescent is a lot in the already installed fixture and ballast. In a completely new building, new alternative will get adopted sooner. Current LED bulb are already economical if you count the total cost of ownership over the life of the product but consumer rarely budget over 5 year, so the economy will need to be more obvious before total adoption (or new mercury legislation will be needed to fast track the whole progress).

Edited by Martin on 2/7/2011 at 6:43 PM EST