Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

why is it that my stainless steel pots ($600 set) always looks

why is it that my stainless steel pots ($600 set) always looks like it has a white film in the bottom after washing & later when it dries ??? almost looks like oxidization & has to be scrubbed off !!!
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I have encountered the same problem with my stainless steel pots and the cause is usually salt (added to boiling water for pasta, and other dishes), which can cause the white discoloration and sometimes 'pitting' of the stainless; unfortunately, it is permanent. This white discoloration may also be caused by hard water spots, when the pots dry, and if you have cleaned the pots in your dishwasher, this can also be caused by residue and/or tiny scratches caused by the abrasive action (if you use a tablet or powder) from the dishwasher detergent.

The discoloration you described, will not adversely affect the performance of the pots, or the foods cooked in them.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,