Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

What implications does Gardners theory of multiple intelligences

What implications does Gardner’s theory of multiple intelligences have for you as a teacher?
Category: General
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

Gardner's Multiple Intelligence Theory has several implications for teachers in terms of instruction. It states that all the intelligences need to be present to function productively in society. Teachers need to think of all the intelligences as equally important and not just concentrate on the verbal/linguistic and logical/mathematical intelligences. Multiple Intelligence's theory implies that teachers need to recognize all the intelligences in the classroom and teach to the broader range that exists.

While textbooks give a helpful organization to a topic presented in the classroom, the trend today is to not use a single textbook approach to teaching. Book oriented classrooms typically gear the instruction toward the verbal/linguistic and logical/mathematical intelligences. Teachers should use an approach in which several subject areas are integrated using a central theme, called thematics.

Thematic units utilize a multidisciplinary approach that is used effectively in the middle and upper grades because it is at this time in the learner's life that there are specific social studies, math, and science concepts that should be mastered. Multiple Intelligence implies that the information presented needs to be structured in a style, which engages as many intelligences as possible.

For example, when teaching about the country of Puerto Rico, students can study maps (visual/spatial), organize a play about important events in history (bodily/kinesthetic), study and sing ethnic songs (musical/rhythmic), read a novel (verbal linguistic), obtain an electronic pen pal to correspond with (interpersonal) and study the country's currency (mathematical/logical). While this example doesn't list every intelligence, it does demonstrate how the Multiple Intelligence theory can be applied by teachers to strengthen each student's strongest intelligence and to further develop the others. This enables the student to use a stronger intelligence to understand a subject. The student may not have understood if he was required to employ a weaker intelligence.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.