Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

I have a maunuscript for a book nearly ready. Is it best to

I have a maunuscript for a book nearly ready. Is it best to seek a publisher now, or are publication houses still slowed down by the recession and less likely to contract for a new book?

Linda Roch :

If you have a prior relationship, that is your best option.

Linda Roch :

With the recession, spending is down and yes, everyone is less likely to take risks.

Linda Roch :

However, if you have prior relationships and the publisher knows of your reputation or if other publishers know of your publishers, they will at least give you a chance by looking over the manuscript.

Linda Roch :

If they feel it will be a good sell, you will get it published.

Linda Roch :

If not, you can keep it and send it out again in a year or so when hopefully the economy is somewhat improved.

Customer :

What I failed to include in my question is that my first publisher, Dorsey Press, is no longer in business. My second, Springer-Verlag, is probably too academic a press to be interested (though I haven't checked their recent publications). My third contract was with Haworth (which had a good record in publicizing and promoting it's books), but it sold out to Routledge, which is mostly academic and did a poor job in marketing it. In short, none of my previous publishers are very likely candidates for publishing a bisexual memoir.

Linda Roch :

Oh, I see the situation.

Linda Roch :

Then, take it to publishers that maybe be needing something to keep from going out of business and use your other publishers as a reference so that they will at least take a look at your work.

Linda Roch :

The trick in this economy is to not just send your work to every publisher possible but to send it to those who need you more than you need them.

Customer :

The only reason I haven't yet accepted it is that I asked some followup questions, which have not yet been answered.

Customer :

Thanks for your prompt response, especially when you are listed as "offline"!

Customer :

Have you any advice for determining what publishers need me more than Ineed them?

Linda Roch :

Unfortunately, I do not know of any publishers that may need you more than you need them. My best advice is to go after smaller ones who would be open to hearing about your book and reading your manuscript.

Linda Roch :

If there are any questions, I have not answered, please let me know and I would be happy to answer them.