Greg Maxey
Greg Maxey, Consultant\Microsoft Word Expert
Experience:  Microsoft Word Most Valuable Professional (6 years)
Type Your Question Here...

Ask a Microsoft Word Question How can I have MS Word count

Ask a Microsoft Word Question
> How can I have MS Word count the number of check-marks in a column in a table? I use a table to track attendance at a class, and I want the table to do the counting as I enter the check-marks. (Or I can use another symbol if that's easier to count!!)
Category: General
Expert:  Greg Maxey replied 5 years ago.

My name isXXXXX and I am a certified Microsoft Word Expert affiliated with JustAnswers. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you with your Word question.

This is not an easy thing to do without some sort of VBA programing experience. If you used a protected form with checkboxes then you could write a procedure that would count the number of boxes checked and place the result in the last cell. The only simplified method would be to use a {=sum(above)} field and use 1's and 0's as your symbols. You will need to have one or the other in every row (no breaks) because the formula only looks up until it sees a break.