Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a sentry home safe. I have tried every which way to

Customer Question

I have a sentry home safe. I have tried every which way to get the combination to work. I have followed their advice to the letter and still it won't open. Yes, I have the right combination. What now?
Category: General
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

Do you have the model of the safe?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean 'model'. I have the safe
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.

Model number? Products have model numbers. Sentry has at least 200 different models with varied locking mechanisms.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry. The no. is ds0207 ba378251

No problem. Thank you for the info.

This might seem a little basic, but have you been able to open the safe before, or is it brand new?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I have opened it before. I had misplaced the combination the first time and sent for it. I received it and opened it without trouble. I locked it last night for a good reason, but this morning I used the correct combination just like i've been told and it won't open.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still on line with me?
Yes. I am still here. Pleae be patient. I am gathering some information on the safe.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry if I seemed brusk. I apologize. It just irritates me that this ....thing won't open.

Doin't worry about it. I'd be a little more than irritated if something that was supposed to protect my stuff wouldn't let me have it. I'm sure the solution will make you much less irritated (don't shoot the messenger).

So this is a three number combination dial. That leaves a very limited number of things that could cause the problem.

You said you've tried everything, so I'm going to assume that you carefully went over the instructions to turn past 0 three times, etc. Fortunately, I am somewhat familiar with the problem you are having and as I said, the number of things that can cause it are few.

Assuming you did that, you answer lies in a rubber mallet. I'm not joking. Hit the safe a few times with a rubber mallet, and then use your combination. It's not an uncommon problem, unfortunately.