Chris Miller
Chris Miller, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Master's degree in social work, computer knowledge, strong math and science background
22285537
Type Your Question Here...

Is it true that Senators in the U.S. Senate and Respresentatives

Is it true that Senators in the U.S. Senate and Respresentatives in the House of Representatives are allowed a "forgiveness" of their student loans up to $60,000?

It's not true. Although some congressional employees are eligible to have up to $60,000 of student loans repaid after several years--just like other federal workers, this is not the case for members of Congress or their families. You can read more here about how this misinformation was spread, becoming the subject for a chain email campaign calling for a 28th amdendment prohibiting Congress from passing laws from which they themselves are exempt.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information, Chris! Looks like anyone who is employed by the Senate and House of Representatives, excluding Senators and Representative, are eligible for student loan repayment programs. Great website, I will bookmark it!

You're very welcome! Glad I could find this info for you.