Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

My husband found a rock in South Central Oregon and he believes

My husband found a rock in South Central Oregon and he believes it could be part of a meteorite. Is there a place where he could have it tested to find out where it came from or what type of material it is.

Anita Matys
Hi Anita, and welcome back to Just Answer!

Before bringing the rock to be tested, there are several different 'tests' to help you try to determine if it is part of a meteorite. The information at the sites below, will help:

Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory at the University of Portland, might be the closest physical place for you to have the rock tested:

As you can see, the above article states that generally, "conditions in Oregon are unfavorable for finding meteorites..." and goes on to explain why.

I wish you and your husband much good luck; maybe you have a rare find! Smile

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,