Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How Do I Cancel A Cruise Due To Illness And get money paid for the cruise back

How Do I Cancel A Cruise Due To Illness? And get money paid for the cruise back?
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

If you paid for cancellation 'insurance' on the cruise, there should be no problem in getting your money back, according to the terms of the insurance you chose. Typically, with a doctor's note regarding the illness necessitating your cancellation, you would receive a refund minus some fees, in most cases.

If you did not purchase the cancellation insurance, you will need to contact the Cruise Line and ask how to get a refund if you cancel due to illness, and what is required, like a note from the doctor, explaining the circumstances preventing you from traveling.

If you need contact information for your Cruise Line, please let me know it's name and I will be happy to help you find it.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The person going with me on the same cruise also puchased insurane will he get his money also since the both of us were going together in the same Stateroom?
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

If the person going with you purchased insurance and he will need to cancel since you are not going due to illness, he should be able to get his money refunded, as well. If you booked the Stateroom as a 'double' and one person can't go, due to illness, he should be able to get his money back; however, I suggest that you check first with the Cruise Line or insurance company re: the 'reasons' for cancellation that are honored with the insurance that was purchased. If need be, the person going with you might need to get a doctor's note as well (if this is required), and say his cancellation is also due to illness. It's been my experience that when one person of a couple going on a cruise becomes ill and cannot travel, a refund is issued for both parties, but again, this will depend on the particular specifications of the insurance and the Cruise Line.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We were going on Holland America Line do you think they will refund the money for both of us?
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Please allow me a little time to research the refund policies for Holland America. You said both of you purchased the cancellation insurance when you booked the cruise?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes we both did.
Hi again,

You can read recent information about Holland America's Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP), regarding refunds, below, including if you cancel 'for any reason', and also if you cancel for a 'covered reason' (you can get a 100% refund on the latter):

http://news.cruisereviews.com/201010201078/new-%E2%80%98cancel-for-any-reason%E2%80%99-coverage-added-to-carnival%E2%80%99s-cruise-vacation-protection-plan/

You can also call Holland America directly, at the following number, to ask about yours and your friend's specific situation and the need to cancel: (NNN) NNN-NNNN This is their website: www.hollandamerica.com

I hope all will go well with the cancellation and you are feeling much better, very soon!

Best regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 1/7/2011 at 10:35 PM EST